“Urban Beach Week” be allowed?
Can’t we keep South Beach safe?
|South Beach Memorial Day 2011
Miami Beach commissioners will debate restrictions on
Memorial Day weekend hip-hop crowds after an officer-involved shooting that left one man dead and four bystanders wounded.
Commissioner, Jerry Libbin
has publicly supported a curfew for the holiday weekend.
think it’s important that we get something straight. There is no such thing as “Urban Beach
Week”. The City of Miami Beach never sanctioned such an event, this is a nickname given to a particular
area by a particular crowd each year on Memorial Day weekend. These are simply persons with similar interests
who travel to South Beach on vacation.
how did it start? Thru social media, a group of people decided to get together, the focal point being hip
hop music. As with any other group from any other walk of life, 95% are good people, the other 5%
not so much.
how do you stop something that doesn’t officially exist, you don’t.
a responsible adult travels to Miami Beach and abides by the law he or she certainly shouldn’t have a curfew.
This is a free country isn’t it?
how do we make South Beach safe? Let’s be honest, South Beach’s claim to fame is party town
USA. It seems a bit hypocritical to complain when there’s too much. Anytime you
get a few thousand people together, especially in a party atmosphere with lots of alcohol, there will be at least some trouble.
you want to people to stop coming and you want to make South Beach safe, close the clubs. Stop promoting
it “the place to be and be seen”.
South Beach in the 80’s, we could have it again.